In my college years I took an Old Testament course followed up by a New Testament course. I learned from one of my professors this important quote; “a text without a context is a pretext.” To which that has been a perspective I work at solidifying how I read the Bible, in context, and with that being said, this is my opinion as how to read the Bible in context.
1) Read the selected verse.
2) Read the verses surrounding the selected verse.
3) Read the chapter to which the selected verse is a part of.
4) Read the book of the Bible that the selected verse is a part of.
5) Read the surrounding books of the Bible the selected verse is a part of.
6) Read the Bible in its entirety in relation to the selected verse.
Easy? By no means, but to keep the text in context the Bible needs to be read in its entirety.